A reprint of the LFA’s 1904 map is now available for viewing online.
“In 1895 the committee were instructed to consider the possibility of publishing a map of footpaths within a radius of eight miles of Leicester. This resulted in the issue of our footpath map in 1904 (link to map page), which has been instrumental of keeping open many paths which otherwise would have been lost. The work in carrying out this was immense, and the care taken such that there have since been very few disputes about the maps marked.
The public owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. A. J. Gimson, Mr. C. H. Green and Mr. Berry, especially in this connection, and few will realise the enormous amount of labour this map entailed.”
From: A short History of the Leicestershire Footpath Association by Harry H. Peach – A paper prepared for the Countryside and Footpaths Preservation National Conference, Leicester, October 13th 1928. (read more)