Annual Report 2011

by

President’s preamble

It is pleasing to see the expanding numbers of walkers in LFA.   It does of course make for extra responsibility for leaders and extra pressure on pubs for lunch on mid week walks.  We are lucky to have sufficiently well trained and experienced leaders with walkers to help share the task of keeping the group together, welcoming newcomers, and making sure we all observe the countryside code of conduct.

We have had an interesting selection of walks of various lengths in all parts of the county prepared by Vanessa for Saturday walks.  Volunteers for mid-week walks choose their own walks, with pubs for mid-day meals.  Our thanks go to all these members.  We have participated in walks with other groups and organisations.  John R and Gerald C have arranged walks for us to share with Loughborough and Coalville groups and we have led walks for the festival of walks organised by LCC and the National Forest.  These all provide friendly occasions for us to meet and talk with people from other areas.

Car sharing.  I wonder if the increased price of petrol might indicate a need for meeting places for car-sharing.  We abandoned this process some years ago because it meant more work for rambles secretaries and took up more space on the programme and was not used sufficiently by members.  Are we all happy to make our own arrangements for car sharing or is it worth reconsidering the matter?  It would be a shame to omit distant villages just because driving solo to them would be too expensive.

Country Parks walks books.   Last year I reported that I held 24 boxes of books stored in my house, waiting for members to hold them for distribution.  That number has now been halved and volunteers have been selling books to their various outlets.  Sales of course are slowing down, now that every member has bought a copy and encouraged their friends and relatives to do so but with your perseverance all should be sold eventually.  Could we have a batch of volunteers to come forward to store a couple of boxes and/or to take responsibility for selling to any other outlets?

At present, Cordee press deliver to Waterstones and Smiths and other bookshops and to Amazon.   Our volunteers check up on garden centres at Wistow and country parks at Oadby Brocks Hill, the Tourist and Information centre in Leicester and Country parks like Bosworth and Sibson.  There are surely other places which would be happy to sell the book.  Any ideas?  Any volunteers to approach them?
Books are sold on sale or return basis with discounts on multiple copies, delivered by our volunteers when appropriate.  (After a while it becomes a habit to look in bookshops to see if our distinctive cover photo is being displayed and if managers need a quiet reminder!)  Pam G sends invoices and cheques are sent to Jane D as treasurer.

Charity status and Gift Aid.   We are very proud of our status as a charity for our work in encouraging walking in our beautiful countryside and in protecting the rights of way.  We make no charge for walks and our committee and organisers do not claim payment for services.  We make money from producing books and selling badges.  So can I make a plea for abandoning our use of Gift Aid for LFA?   It seems to me that it gives our treasurer a lot of extra work for a small amount of money which we do not need.  My personal feeling is that we are depriving the tax system of money which we do not need.  Would anyone like to comment?

Our thanks, as always to all the committee for their work, our Chairman, Chris M, has organised highly successful alliterative evening walks.  Brian J carries the burden of correspondence with the outside world along with an active involvement in all matters of rights of way.  We are particularly blessed to have the services of Ken B for producing such a comprehensive and informative website.  And to all the unsung heroes of our Association, thanks.

Heather MacD

Chairman’s remarks

It has been a good year, this 125th year of the LFA.  We have more members, now at 320, a net increase of 29 over the previous year.  We have more walks, with extra evening and longer Wednesday walks (is your LFA membership the best-value fiver of the whole year?).  We have more people actually walking, and estimate that most weeks we now have 100 people on a walk sometime in the week.

When I first started proper walking in Leicestershire (with Ramblers) about 15 years ago, I spent several years being amazed by what a lovely and varied county I had always lived in.  The amazement has inevitably faded, but the appreciation remains and I’m still finding bits that I’ve never walked before.  I’m sure we all also appreciate the way-marking and state of the paths in the county (particularly after any walks outside the county), and also the number of gates that have been put in over recent years.  We should be grateful for the work done by the Rights of Way team at County Hall.

And the other people we should be grateful to are the walk leaders.  All those walks don’t just happen and only continue because we can find willing leaders.  One of the good things about LFA is the way it encourages any member to lead a walk – I first led a walk for Ramblers last summer as no one ever asked me.  It’s not compulsory of course, but like most things, leading gets easier with practice.  Everyone is uncertain on the first walk they lead, but you can almost certainly find someone more experienced to do the pre-walk with you and you can start with somewhere that you know (and get more adventurous later).  So if you haven’t led a walk yet, think about it.  We can always arrange another training day if that would help.  My thanks to Ken B for leading a successful training day based at Ashby Folville village.

Enjoy your walks in the rest of 2012.

Chris M

Secretary’s report

Your committee has considered twenty-eight applications for diversions and closures of rights of way.  Many are non-contentious but in some cases we have made representations to the order-making authority.

The Latimer Primary School advised us of a possible application for a Gating Order at Anstey on part of footpath J84.  It was being proposed gates should be locked between the hours of 8.45am to 3.00pm, Monday to Friday during the 190 school days each year.  Such application was being considered under Section 129A of the Highways Act, 1980 which allows Gating of footpaths where premises adjoining or adjacent to the right of way are affected by crime or anti social behaviour.  The main ground for a possible order was due to the persistent dropping of hypodermic needles by drug users onto the footpath thereby putting children at risk during the school day. Having considered the legal requirement for Gating Orders the school was advised the Association were doubtful its application would be successful and would not therefore lend support to it.  Regular inspection of the footpath by staff would seem proportionate action to the mischief presented.

Walking Festivals

Walks were arranged as part of the Leicestershire Festival and the National Forest Festival.  In respect of the first festival, Liz M led a Tuesday  walk from Newtown Linford which attracted thirty-eight walkers, six of which were not members of our Association.  In respect of the second festival, Heather led a Thursday walk from Donington-Le-Heath Manor House and this attracted twelve walkers and I led a walk from Heather village attracting twenty-four walkers.  These events whilst not perhaps attracting many new members do advertise the existence and work of our Association.   The Tuesday walk introduced existing members and visitors to the new link footpath at Ulverscroft which is now well sign posted and used.

MIRA Technology Park

I was contacted by a Mrs Ann J of Higham-on-the-Hill concerning proposals by MIRA to construct a new technology park adjacent to the A5 trunk road.  I visited a presentation at Higham Community Centre on the 5th April and during discussions with management of the company it became apparent they were favourable to linking two dead end footpaths T49c and T49a.  As the Company owned the ground between the dead ends some form of dedication may follow.  The present position is the matter has been passed over to Geoff P at County Hall for further research and discussions with the Company.

In the new Technology Park, a cycleway will be made available for the public to use and will leave the present Weddington Way Cycle track and be routed through the new complex. The Weddington Way leaves Hinckley and passes underneath the A5 to just north of the A5 on an old railway track.  This track continues northwards but is the boundary of the Mira works and the Company are not prepared for security reasons to extend the Cycle Track on the line of the old railway any further.

Bosworth Battlefield Conservation Management Plan

On the 19th May I attended the Battlefield Centre to take part in discussions on a conservation management plan to take into account the new location of the main battlefield adjacent to Fenn Lane (an old Roman Road).  This is about one and a half miles South West of the existing battlefield site.
The present Bosworth Battlefield Centre has been transformed by a four year project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and will not be moved.  The work covered by the 1.3 million lottery grant included a survey which identified the exact location of the 1485 battle. 
On a Saturday walk earlier in the year, it was noticed footpath T24A terminated at Foxcover Lane.  This meant for pedestrians local roads would have to be used to reach Stoke Golding.  Stoke Golding is the nearest village to the new battlefield site.  A new footpath is needed to take walkers through to Stoke Golding and this could be accommodated along the Parish boundary.  Stoke Golding church is 1.25 mile from Foxcover Lane.  It was also noted there is no access to Crown Hill (where the new King was crowned) and this lies just to the West of Stoke Golding village .
Information boards for visitors to the new battlefield site will need to be
erected and public access will need to be much improved.
The Conservation Management Plan process of consultation and discussion seeks to build partnerships and relationships.  It seeks to put parties in contact with each other and to find common ground to bring parties together.

I attended a second meeting on the 13th September 2011 and it seems unlikely footpaths will be linked to Stoke Golding or Crown Hill.  This is because of landowners objections.  It would seem some permissive footpaths will have to be created close to the new battlefield site to make it accessible.

Bardon Hill Quarry

Leicestershire County Council’s planning committee have approved the plan by Aggregate Industries to extend the quarry.  This will now secure the future of the quarry and provide jobs for some 300 people over the next 40 years.

Hundreds of local people had signed a petition against the proposal as this would ruin the countryside.  The extension to the quarry will affect public rights of way but the Company in a display two years ago indicated how they would manage access around the new extension.  A visitor centre is proposed which will show case wildlife and bio-diversity.  It is anticipated the car park at the visitor centre will provide a starting point for walks in the area.

Minorca opencast mine near Measham

In June Leicestershire County Council approved planning permission for UK coal to extract 1.5 million tonnes of coal and fireclay from the site.  This followed a three-year fight by some local people to stop this development.  This mine is in the area of the National Forest and will therefore impact on this but the firm have pledged £1 million pounds towards the project to restore a section of the Ashby canal.  94 conditions will govern the operation of the mine and its restoration. 

Permissive footpaths

Whilst walking in the countryside you occasionally come across a permissive footpath which a landowner has opened up to the public which is often funded by English Nature.  This was the position when on a Saturday walk near to Loddington Church a notice board had been erected indicating permissive access along the old railway line towards Loddington Lane.  The agreement with English Nature ends in August 2020.  In the meantime the public are invited to use it.  When reaching Loddington Lane, footpath B86 can be walked which will take you Southwards over the Eye Brook to a point where the old railway viaduct crossed the valley near what was East Norton Station.
The website for other permissive access is http://cwr.naturalengland.org.uk
And look for Educational access sites – defra UK – rural affairs.

New National Wood

The Woodland Trust have unveiled plans for this wood to be located in the National Forest near the villages of Ravenstone and Normanton-le-Heath.
This will be a national symbol to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond jubilee in 2012.  The land needs to be bought to accommodate the 460 acre wood and a £3.3 million fundraising appeal will follow.  It will take some ten years for the trees to become established but what an excellent area for walking in this will become and right on our doorstep!

Members will be interested to learn of a new seventy-three mile trail being developed by the National Forest Company.  Half of the proposed route is within Leicestershire.  This will become a challenge for some of our more active members to walk and enjoy.

Life membership

Your committee have granted life membership to Gerald C.  Gerald joined our Association in 1973 and has done and is continuing to do, valuable survey work on rights of way in North West Leicestershire.  His knowledge of routes and back alleys in that area is legendary.
Diversion and Closures Report

A temporary diversion order for six months from 15th December 2011 is in place on the Leicestershire Round at Shackerstone Station.  The footbridge over the railway lines has been deemed unsafe and will either have to be repaired or replaced.  Signs have been erected to advise users of the alternative route.  The County Council advise this will be an expensive project and a further closure order cannot be ruled out.

Addition  of public footpath X58 Wimborne Road, Knighton to public footpath
Z6 at Oadby

It was submitted by local residents the route claimed had been enjoyed by the public as of right and without interruption for a full period of twenty years as provided by Section 31 of the Highway’s Act, 1980.  A public inquiry took place on the 12th and 13th of January at Beauchamp College and I attended on the first day as an observer.
The objectors to the order were Oadby & Wigston Borough Council, Leicester Race course owners and Oadby Golf course.
There was sufficient evidence of use for the prescribed period to raise a presumption that it was dedicated as a public footpath.  There was conflicting evidence regarding actions taken on behalf of the landowner.  However, the Inspector conducting the inquiry was satisfied on balance of probability, there was sufficient evidence to negate the presumption in this case regarding the period claimed.  In particular it was found the gap alongside the Wimborne gate had been obstructed, locking the gates of the golf course car park on several days each year and challenging some path users, was sufficient indication of lack of intention to dedicate the route as a right of way.  Therefore the order was not confirmed.

Creation of footpath S90(Part) at Barton in the Beans

This interesting extension to what was a dead end footpath at the South of the village will now provide a link to a section of the Leicestershire Round between Carlton and Shackerstone at grid reference SK387056.  The initiative for the extension to the footpath was a joint application from Shackerstone. and Carlton Parish Councils.  The additional length of footpath being 575 metres.  This addition was formally opened on Sunday, 13th November.

Creation of footpath L98(Part) at Isley Walton

In 2004 an order was made by the County Council to extend the above footpath from Manor Farm for a distance of 120 metres northwards along the driveway to the Farm. This would then meet the A453 road at Walton Hill.
Apparently this short section was not claimed as a right of way when the Definitive Map was prepared.  The Parish Council, the farmer and some local people object to this section of the footpath being recognised and hence a public inquiry will now be held to decide the matter.  All parties now agree for an Inspector to decide the issue by way of written representations.

Bridleway I78(Part) at Coppice Farm, Queniborough

In 2007 objection was made to the diversion of the above right of way to the North of the farm on the ground of unsuitability of the ground.
New proposals have now been considered and a track has now been constructed.  Subject to a satisfactory top dressing to the surface of the track being applied then the new route would be acceptable.

Diversion of footpaths No. 10(Part) Parish of Shardlow and Great Wilne, Derbys and L91(Part) Parish of Lockington and Hemington, Leics.

Our Association was first consulted in April, 2000 over the diversion of these footpaths and again in October 2006.   “Long Horse Bridge”, crossed the River Trent at its mouth with the Trent and Mersey canal and connected these two footpaths but the bridge had been deemed structurally unsafe and was demolished by British Waterways (the owner) in 2003.  The centre of the Trent is the county boundary between Derbyshire and Leicestershire.  A new bridge has now been erected 140 metres upstream where the width of the river Trent is considerably less and a single span bridge can be accommodated.  A photograph of the new bridge, taken by Ken B, was shown on our web-site in November and the bridge was officially opened on the 12th November.  The new bridge and the 1.5km Greenway to connect Shardlow to Leicestershire was a  £1.4 million project.

Footpath Z44 – Countesthorpe (Linden Farm Drive to Winchester Road)

A small diversion of this right of way is taking place following the upgrading and fencing of an existing foul pumping station.  The footpath will be a “Community Link/Safer route to school and will have an all weather surface.

Brian J

Obstruction Officer’s report

My worries expressed in last year’s report concerning the rights of way department at County Hall have not yet become clear with respect to obstructions.  The majority of problems reported to ROW are being cleared up but it is not possible to forecast with any accuracy when they will be done.  To me as an outsider and user, the transfer of ROW to come under the management of the Highways Department has made little difference.

As it looks as though the elimination of the deficit is going to take longer than originally forecast by the Government, we may have shocks to come if overhead budgets at County Hall are reduced even more.  Fortunately Leicestershire does appear to come out well in budget allocations from the coalition government so far. 

The number of reported problems during 2011 by us remains at much the same level as in 2010.  As I reported last year, I believe that this is due to work done on footpaths in previous years in response to reports sent by us, the Ramblers, other walking groups and from individuals through the parish maintenance programme.

The best way to keep rights of way open is by walking them and reporting problems.  Thus, I make no apologies in reiterating the message on footpath problems to members.

Problems on rights of way can broadly be divided into three groups.

1. Where the footpath is physically blocked, e.g. by crops such as oilseed rape and beans etc., overgrown vegetation, building works, locked gates, barbed wire, electric fences and fallen trees etc.

2. Where our passage of the footpath is affected by safety considerations, 
e.g. rickety stiles, steps on steep slopes in a bad condition, ploughed up headlands, aggressive animals, defective footbridges, quagmires, and stepping stones etc.

3. Problems with the furniture of rights of way, e.g. finger posts, waymarks,
waymark posts, stiles, gates and footbridges.

Most of these problems can be resolved fairly quickly by reporting them to Rights of Way at County Hall who arrange for Inspectors to check our reports on the ground and then recommend action.

The first two groups appear to get priority for attention with now much emphasis on safety considerations.  County Hall either asks farmers to clear crop obstructions and quagmires or places orders with subcontractors to repair the right of way.  With respect of crop obstructions, County Hall has a system whereby they remind farmers during the growing season that fields containing cross-field paths will need to have paths cleared through crops.
However, some farmers can be forgetful in this respect so let me know of any paths not cleared through crops.

The third group of problems appear to have a lower priority for action but they do get resolved in time.

The most difficult situations to resolve that we come across, are where the right of way has been effectively closed to all but the intrepid and persistent walker.  The landowner is uncooperative to approaches by County Hall, so the issue results in a legal dispute taking years to resolve.

It is my belief that if we keep on reporting problems, this will keep the pressure on County Hall such that they cannot be ignored.  So keep your reports coming in and I will send them on to County Hall.  Thank you in anticipation!

We have been lucky sometimes when there is a subcontractor close to a problem we have reported and the subcontractor can pull our problem into their programme of works!

Finally our thanks should be given to those who have provided such helpful support, during 2011 and before, from the rights of way department at County Hall and also to the Highway Inspectors who go out and look at the problems on the ground.

Clive F
Treasurer’s report

2011 showed an increased interest from members of the public and we now have an additional 44 new members.
The accounts this year show a profit of £1917.52p.  We are considering donating to the Diamond Wood Appeal and this will be discussed at the AGM together with any other donations deemed worthy.

Membership stands at a healthy 320 members (15 members failed to renew their subs for various reasons).
There are 53 Parish Councils who are members (5 not paid)

195 members subscribe to Gift Aid Scheme (the more the merrier – please contact me if you are a tax payer and do not presently subscribe)

Ken B managed to find a new supplier for our Leicestershire Round badges and sales of such badges have increased due to the walk being completed by an increasing number of people.

Many thanks to all who helped with the Barn Dance and because it was such a success, I am hoping to hold another one on Saturday, 9th June 2012.  The date will be confirmed at the AGM so please pencil the date in your diary!

Membership’s subscription still remains at £5 – fantastic value for money.

Jane D

Webmaster’s report

Not the mega following of Tom Archer’s pigs playing footy which according to the everyday story of country folk went ‘viral’ but we are getting a steady stream of visits.  Looking at the statistics to prepare this report, I see that ‘contact us’ has recently had the most hits which hopefully will lead to new members.

During the year we were notified that the old site, provided by the owners of the Leicester Mercury, would be withdrawn.  This was expected and nothing had been added to the Beehive site since we moved to WordPress.  However, the old site remained top place in a Google search even after it had gone.  I’m pleased to say that it has now disappeared and a Google search for Leicestershire Footpath Association puts our new site at the top of the list.  That is on my computer, because they know what we are looking for. It could be different on yours.

Do you want to keep up to date with postings on the site?  You can by clicking on ‘Follow’ at the right hand foot of any of our site pages.  Complete the details and each time a new post is added to the site an email will be sent to you with details.

I’m grateful to Neil B for his input into the site and to Brian J for providing pictures and reports.  Both Neil and Brian had some training on accessing the site during the year.  While we maintain the site we do rely on external input so please email your pictures and reports to
leicestershire.footpaths@gmail.com  and we can make you famous for five minutes.
You can take a look again at last year’s Annual Report at https://leicestershirefootpaths.wordpress.com/annual-report-2009-10/

The wonders of the world wide web.  I note from my earlier reports that the theme remains much the same so perhaps in time I can re-cycle the report from the past.

Ken B

Monday evening walks

We had weekly evening walks for the first time last summer and they continued to be well attended, with an average of about sixteen, up a bit on the previous year.  I estimate we had at least seventy different people on walks, so you don’t have to be a regular.  Just turn up when you can.
Remember – summer is a time to take an evening walk.

Chris M

Tuesday walks

We have had another happy and successful year and again welcomed some new members.  The weekly number of walkers has been approximately thirty.
The walks have all been enjoyable and varied, covering most parts of the County.  May I thank all the leaders in providing the variety of walks for members to enjoy.

I am pleased to report, Val W and Neil B, joined the LFA committee.  Neil has also volunteered to post the starting point of our Tuesday walks on the website.

We all enjoyed the super summer barn dance held in Jane D’s barn.  Thank you to her and all her helpers.
Forty-four of us had a great Christmas meal at the “Golden Fleece”, South Croxton on December 13th.  Thanks to Judy and David S for organising this.
We collected £120.00p for the Air Ambulance again this Christmas.

Jenny T

Wednesday walks 

The Winter programme for 2011-12 was my first attempt to organise walks for the Wednesday group.  I took on the job thinking that it would be quite easy to find volunteers to lead the walks, but found that with the introduction of a long walk every other Wednesday more leaders would be required, this made the job more difficult than I thought.  With the Summer programme upon us, and a long walk being proposed every Wednesday, finding leaders is going to be even more challenging.

I would like to thank those members who volunteered to lead more than one walk on the Winter programme. Without their help we would have been struggling to organise all the walks.

Another year has flown by, fortunately with no accidents reported.  This  may be due to the fact that Wednesday mornings seem to be blessed with fine weather and with the introduction of more metal gates, the odds of falling off a stile have been reduced.

This year has seen a large number of new walkers joining the Wednesday group.  I would like to welcome them to the LFA and hope they enjoy our future walks. (Some, I hope will be able to volunteer as leaders.)

The Church Langton walk led by Peter R saw a record number of 45 walkers. Fortunately the pub was able to accommodate in one room all the people who stayed for lunch.

Roger W

Thursdays walks

Another year has gone by so quickly.  However, apart from the first couple of months when the snow was prolific, at lest for this part of the country, we have experienced what I think to have been ideal weather for walking.  Not too hot and not too cold.  Nevertheless, I do hope that we can look forward to a better Summer this coming year.

Once again we have ventured north, south, east and west of Leicester, in varied contrasting countryside.  We have welcomed new members to our Thursday walks and enjoyed the company of others who normally walk on different days of the week.  Relatively new members to our group have very successfully lead walks over the past year and I am hoping that, along with our regular leaders, they will continue to do so into the future.  We always support one another in this regard, so the task is one of companionship and achievement rather than a chore.

On behalf of everyone in the Thursday group, I would like to wish all members of the LFA a most enjoyable walking year.

Judy P-A

Saturday walks

This year our numbers have increased considerably thanks to several regular Saturday walkers who have joined us from Hinckley Ramblers.  Numbers have been in the high teens and sometimes past twenty during the Summer and continue now to be much higher than previous years.  We have enjoyed walks with Loughborough Ramblers on three occasions in the far corners of our county.  Our walks vary in length from 6 to 10 miles generally with picnic stop midway, which allows us real freedom to walk the county’s footpaths.  There is usually the option of a drink in the local pub at the end!

Vanessa M

October weekend

Fourteen members met at the Honiley Court Hotel and Conference Centre at Honiley, Warwickshire for my last October weekend.  We had been here two years ago and knew what to expect.   The complex has excellent facilities, good food and nearby there are pleasant countryside walks.  On Saturday, Brian and Glenys H led the long walk.  Three of us elected to walk a shorter distance with a pub stop for lunch.  Both walks were successful in decent weather.
Saturday night’s excellent dinner was enlivened by the now familiar quiz.  Afterwards we entertained ourselves with anecdotes and poetry.
I was presented with a lovely book of poetry to mark my involvement in organising the venues of the past few years, a task that I have enjoyed tremendously.  I hope that someone else will take up the baton for the future.

Tim W

——————————————————————————-

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at the Evangelical Baptist Church, Woodhouse Eaves at 10.15am on Saturday, 26th February, 2011.

1. Seventy people attended the meeting and apologies had been received from 16 members.  Heather welcomed members and expressed thanks for the help given in promoting the Country Park book of walks but was seeking volunteers to maintain momentum in sales at various outlets by checking and replacing stock.

2.  Chairman Peter B also welcomed members and thanked them for the   
     assistance he had received during his term in office.  Peter thanked
     the committee for their help in the successful conduct of business of the
     Association during such period.  The minutes of the last AGM, which had
     been circulated by inclusion at the back of the Annual Report were
     accepted as a true record of the meeting and there were no matters arising
     from those minutes. 

3.  Peter then introduced John S who had been invited to attend and
speak on the accommodation of footpaths over agricultural land and bulls
in footpath fields.  John has for many years farmed at Springbarrow Lodge, Grace Dieu and in particular takes great pride
in his herd of Longhorn cattle.  In what proved to be a humorous and interesting talk on his life with cattle, members were left in no uncertainty of the dangers of dairy bulls in footpath fields.  Interestingly we were told responsible farmers would not place such bulls in fields where footpaths were crossed and most such animals were kept in farm buildings.  Beef bulls did not pose such danger but no explanation could be given as to why they were less aggressive.  John said cows with very young calves can be very protective of their young and should be given a wide birth.  Always be on guard and do not assume a bull must be safe as a lot depends on the temperament of the animal. 

4. The meeting now considered the acceptance of Officers reports and
these were approved.  Arising from this some discussion took place on
Tuesday walks not having a destination on the walks programme necessitating a telephone call to discover this.  Tuesday rambles organiser
Jenny T said walk leaders on Tuesday preferred this but a record of where the walk is kept and could be submitted if this was essential.
There was no objection to Tuesday walks being placed on the website.
The Treasurer explained the reason for the deficit in the accounts for the year was due to the costs associated in producing the Country Walks booklet.  The Association does still have a healthy balance.  Bob S asked about insurance cover for the Association.  Jane D then read details of our cover and said we were adequately covered for any claim which may be made against us.  It is important to distinguish between personal insurance for a member who may be injured through no fault of the leader.  Such personal insurance can be expensive and needs to be taken out by a member separately.
It was suggested a leaders course would be useful for new members and the committee will try and organise this.  A copy of instructions for walk leaders can be obtained from the Treasurer. 
Ken B asked members to report any problems on pre-walks to Clive F, obstructions secretary.  This will then give time for the matter to be reported and for action possibly to be taken. The Association does not take part in erecting stiles, placing footbridges etc., as this is done by the Local Authority but simple hedge clipping is from time to time undertaken to make passage easier.
Roger W asked for a list of public houses used in villages to be placed on the website.

5.  The meeting then considered election of officers and members were
advised all officers wished to continue apart from Chairman.  Peter was
standing down and also leaving the committee.  Peter proposed and Ken
B seconded Christine M as our future Chairman.  No other nominations were made and Christine was duly elected.  Peter then produced the Chairman’s Cup which was now on a wood turned base with engravings on silver plate and passed this over to Christine.  The name of the first ever Chairman of the Association had been engraved with the names of other Chairman following on from our one hundredth year.
Existing committee members Ken B, David S, Roger C will remain and two new members were elected, Mrs Val W and Neil B. 

6.  The following subscriptions were authorised by members:- Ramblers
     Association, Open Spaces Society, Woodland Trust, Air Ambulance.  Ken
     B had noticed a donation had been made to the Ashby Canal 
     Association and asked if a subscription or donation could be made to the
     Grantham Canal Association because we walk from time to time along the
     canal towpath.  This was left open for the committee to consider at its next
     meeting when perhaps more information could be obtained.
     It was agreed cheque signatories would continue as follows, Jane, Brian
     and Heather, any two from three.

7.  The coach ramble for 2011 is in jeopardy due to the lack of a volunteer to
     organise.  This was regretted and unless a member or a number of
     members came together to rescue this annual event then it would not
     happen.

8. Members considered the venue for our 2012 Annual General Meeting and
and by a show of hands there was overwhelming support for us to remain
at the Woodhouse Eaves Baptist Church.

9. Jane D raised under any other business the shortage in stock of
Leicestershire Round badges and asked members if they knew where these had been obtained from.  It was suggested a firm in Melton Mowbray
was the original supplier and perhaps a search through our records would
reveal the contact name.
Jane D advised members of a barn dance at High Lees Farm which is to be arranged for Saturday, 4th June, 2011.  Members to bring food to be shared and any profit from this event to be donated to LOROS.

Vanessa gave details of the five mile walk and members were invited to attend after their luncheon.  18 members supported the afternoon walk.-

The meeting closed a few minutes before Twelve midday.

Advertisements